Eno's Pond County Park
East Lacey Road, Lacey Township, Ocean County, NJ
Garden State Parkway to Exit 74 (Lacey Twp.); east on Lacey Road about 2 1/2 miles; continue across Route 9 onto E. Lacey Road for about a mile. Park entrance is about 1/4 mile beyond "Captain's Inn" on the left.
The newest addition to Ocean County Parks and Recreation, opened in the autumn of 1998. Eno's Pond and surrounding area have a long and colorful history dating to the Colonial period. The observation decks overlook Eno's Pond, which was used as a source of ice for a hotel once on the site and now is a good vantage point for viewing some of the pond's residents and visitors.
From a publication entitled "Eno's Riverside Hotel and Eno's Pond" by Mahala Landrum, a local historian. In 1889 Byron E. Eno purchased what was then The Riverside House, a hotel from which guests had access to the "best hunting and fishing grounds of Barnegat Bay." The hotel became a vacation spot for the wealthy and famous.
The pond was used as a source of ice for the large resort. The blocks of ice were lifted by crane for storage in nearby icehouses.
Bridge Creeks flows into the pond.
Conservation area, handicap accessible, open playing fields, nature trails, observation decks, picnic area/grills, playground, restrooms, volleyball.
Eno's Pond County Park is adjacent to part of the Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge Lacey Extension, and both entities are working to develop a trail system between the two properties.