Turning Basin Park
Alexander Road, Princeton Township, Mercer County, New Jersey
1834 -- the D&R canal completed.
Alexander Road was then called Canal Road. There was a bridge here known as the Alexander Road swing bridge.
1839 -- a branch of the Camden & Amboy Railroad completed on the east side of the canal. Here was the Railroad Hotel that served merchants and workmen in the area.
1864 -- the railroad relocated its tracks to Princeton Junction and the hotel was renamed the Steamboat Hotel.
1932 -- the canal closed. The Steamboat Hotel was converted into apartments.
1992 -- the former Railroad Hotel was demolished.
(Linda J. Barth 2002. Images of America: The Delaware and Raritan Canal. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Press.)