History of Bridgewater
Somerset County, New Jersey
1688 (May 22) – Somerset County established by charter.
Colonial period – the now Township of Bridgewater purchased from a local Indian tribe.
1749 – Bridgewater Township chartered by King George II of England. After the chartering, today’s Somerville and Raritan broke away from Bridgewater Township.
Revolutionary War – 1775-1782.
Branchburg, Bound Brook, Somerville, and Raritan were all parts of Bridgewater. Many men in the area became members of Captain Jacob Ten Eyck’s company, which saw in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.
1845 – Branchburg broke away from Bridgewater receiving a charter to form a separate township.
1899 – the Township incorporated.
1980: the population of Bridgewater was 29,175.
1990: the population of Bridgewater was 32,509.
1995 (September) – the two high schools that once divided the region into two parts were consolidated into one high school: the Bridgewater-Raritan High School, located close to the Bridgewater Commons Mall.
2000: the population of Bridgewater was 42,940 .
Today – some of the businesses include AT&T, Johnson & Johnson, and Brother Computer Products.
About Somerset County;