Mohonk Preserve, Ulster County, New York
Guyot was named for Princeton professor, geologist Arnold Guyot. A guest at Mohonk, Guyot helped lay out the carriage trail up to Guyot's Hill that is still a favorite of hikers and cross-country skiers.
1886 -- a summerhouse (gazebo) was built on the cleared summit of Guyot's Hill. At that time the summit was vacant of trees.
Source: Carol A. Johnson and Marion W. Ryan of the Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection, Elting Memorial Library. 2001. Images of America: New Paltz. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Press.