History of Lafayette Township
Sussex County, New Jersey
1845 -- Lafayette Township created from land in Newton and Frankford Township and named in honor of the French Marquis de La Fayette of the American Revolutionary War.
post-Civil War -- new commercial buildings constructed along Main Street in the village of Lafayette.
beginning of the 20th century -- Thomas Edison opened the Limestone Products quarry on the Sparta-Lafayette Township border.
1907 photo -- shows the Lafayette House, a hotel and restaurant, on Main Street run by owner R. J. Blauvelt.
1912 postcard -- in Lafayette, the Alderney Dairy Company's creamery was next to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad (formerly the Sussex Railroad). The rail line connected to Newark and New York City.
1938 -- the Alderney Dairy Company creamery demolished.
1980s -- the Lafayette House relocated to the shopping center Olde Lafayette Village.
(Source: 2003. Wayne T. McCabe. Images of America: Sussex County. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Press.)