History of Green Township
Sussex County, New Jersey
Sections of Green:
Tranquility --- name chosen after a bitter church dispute between the names of Allamuchy and Kennedytown. Tranquility was originally known as Kennedytown (for early settler Amos Kennedy).
c. 1750 -- Huntsville settled. At first it was known as Pettit's Mills, after a mill established by Thomas Woolverton was sold to Nathaniel Pettit. Judge Abram Hunt became the new owner and the town was renamed Huntsville.
1770 -- Ephraim Green, for whom the Township is named, settled near Greendell.
1823 -- the southern portion of Sussex County became Warren County.
1824 -- the northern portions of Hardwick and Independence Township became Green Township.
1829 -- part of Green Township became Byram Township.
1834-1844 -- Thomas Phillips erected a stone mill designed by millwright Simon Fronze of Easton, Pennsylvania. It still stands in Huntsburg.
1853 -- Green Township was expanded to include a section of the old Newton Township.
1887 -- Yellow Frame Church erected and the area became known as Yellow Frame.
1904 -- a portion of Green became Fredon Township.
1927 -- the old Huntsburg mill stopped operation.
Wayne T. McCabe. 2003. Images of America: Sussex County. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Press.
Township of Green: The History of Green Township. http://www.greentwp.com/copy/history.html