Penhorn Creek Preserve
Secaucus, Hudson County, New Jersey
The Preserve includes the headwater areas north of Secaucus Road in North Bergen and the area surrounding the Malanka Landfill and the Public Service Electric and Gas facilities in Secaucus and Jersey City, respectively.
Penhorn Creek is a Hackensack River tributary, just east of Snake Hill in Secaucus.
Penhorn Creek, at the eastern boundary of Secaucus, was named after William Pinhorne. The Pinhornes had a Plantation on Snake Hill that was the center of the village of Secaucus from about 1680 into the nineteenth century.
Up until the late 1950s, Secaucus was known for its pig farms. There were more than 30 pig farms sandwiched between the Hackensack River and Penhorn Creek.