Lover's Lane between Mercer Street and Route 206, Princeton, Mercer County, NJ.
1842 -- Judge Richard Field, a Princeton University professor, bought 30
acres of farmland which included the present Marquand Park. Field built the
impressive Guernsey Hall. For landscaping, he enlisted the help of Commodore
Stockton from Morven and Mr. Potter, who lived at Prospect, to hire the famous
English gardener Petrey. They brought in such species as Incense cedar, Norway
spruces, cedar of Lebanon, and European larches.
1871 -- Mrs. Susan Brown, who lived here with her son, acquired the property. The Browns planted Japanese maples and Amur cork tree to expand the arboretum.
1885 -- Princeton University Professor Allan Marquand acquired the property . He and his wife added to the collection.
1950 -- Mrs. Marquand dies.
1953 -- seventeen acres given to the Borough by the Marquand heirs.
1955 -- a planning report was commissioned from landscape architects Clarke and Rapuano of New York City. A non-profit foundation was organized to provide oversight for the property, which has purchased or been given more than 100 specimens.
There are many plants here because all of the property's owners were avid horticulturalists. (Gruzlovic and Cradic 1994:72-74 and http://www.princetontwp.org/marquand.html#ahist)
Extensive arboretum with playground equipment and picnic tables, no public bathrooms.
There is a wooded part of the park. There is a self-guided tour book containing a map showing the gravel trail.
Acer palmatum (Japanese maple)
Acer spp. (maples)
Carya sp. (hickory)
Fagus grandifolia (American beech)
Kalmia latifolia (mountain laurels)
Larix decidua (European larch)
Liriodendron tulipifera (tulip tree)
Magnolia kobus (kobus magnolia)
Metasequoia glyptostroboides (dawn redwood) from China
Paulownia tomentosa (empress tree)
Phellondendron amurense (Amur cork tree)
Picea abies (Norway spruces)
Quercus alba (white oak)
Quercus spp. (oak)
Rhododendron spp. (rhododendrons and azaleas)
cedar of Lebanon