The Township of East Amwell
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
East Amwell Township is located in the southeastern corner of the County where it borders both Somerset and Mercer Counties.
Hamlets of East Amwell:
a portion of Reaville.
1708 – Amwell Township established by a royal patent from Queen Anne. Its consisted of 200 square miles and included the present day Delaware, Raritan, Readington, East and West Amwell Townships and portions of Clinton, Lebanon and Tewksbury Townships.
1720 -- the future town of Ringoes settled by John Ringo who had a tavern that stood for seventy years.
1775-1782 -- the American Revolution.
1778 -- a British contingent was sent from Trenton to destroy Flemington. The Americans attacked a British scouting party at Ringoes. Geary, the Commander, was killed, and the rest of the party along with the main unit fled to New Brunswick.
Phillip Ringoes, early trader and settler in Amwell Township. Ringoes, the township's biggest village, is the home depot of the Black River and Western Railroad, which runs a steam engine excursion train between Lambertville and Flemington.
1780 (March) -- an act of the New Jersey Legislature enabled the governing body to meet in the John Ringoes Tavern in Amwell.
1790 -- the Hunterdon County Freeholders met at Alexander's Tavern in Flemington and decided that an election should be held at Meldrums Tavern in Ringoes to determine a location for the County Courthouse. Flemington was chosen to house the new Courthouse.
1846 – Amwell split into East and West Amwell.
1954 – a final adjustment was made to the East and West Amwell’s boundary lines.
1999 – Ringoes Historic District (Old York, John Ringo, Wertsville and Boss Rds., and Larison Ln., East Amwell Township) added to the Register of Historic Places.
2000 – Wertsville Historic District (Wertsville and Lindbergh Roads) added to the National Register of Historic Places.
2002 – Reaville Historic District (Old York, Amwell, Barley Sheaf, Kuhl, Manners Rds., East Amwell) added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Today: population of 4,507.