History of Hopatcong Boro
Sussex County, New Jersey
1898 -- the borough of Hopatcong established (then known as the borough of Brooklyn).
1900 -- development took off as hotels and campgrounds sprang up around Lake Hopatcong.
1901 -- the name Brooklyn changed to Hopatcong Borough.
1901 -- Hudson Maxim (inventor, scientist and explosives expert) acquired 600 acres along the west shore of Lake Hopatcong.
1904 -- Maxim built his mansion, Maximhurst.
1906 -- Hudson Maxim built a three-story, castellated Venetian-style stone boathouse.
(Source: Wayne T. McCabe. 2003. Images of America: Sussex County. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Press.)