TOURNE COUNTY PARK
40 McCaffrey Lane, Powerville Rd. and Old Denville Rd., Twps of Boonton and Denville, Borough of Mtn Lakes
It is located in the southern portion of Norvin Green State Forest.
No dogs in wildflower trail area.
Traveling North on 287, take exit 39 for Intervale Road (Mountain Lakes). At the end of the ramp turn Left and cross over I-287 to the traffic light. Turn right at the light onto Fanny Road. Proceed straight to the second stop sign. Turn right onto West Main Street. Bear left at the "Y" onto Powerville Road. Continue until the first road on the left, McCaffrey Lane. Turn left. A sign for Tourne Park marks the entrance.
There are two places in northern New Jersey called The Tourne.
One is in Passaic County. To reach the Morris County Tourne,
follow the Boulevard north from Route 46 through Mountain Lakes,
and bear left just after you enter Boonton, on to Elcock Avenue,
which becomes Powerville Road. The park entrance road is on the
The park road goes through the entire park. There are three parking areas with lots of picnic tables. The middle parking area is by a baseball field and a big meadow. The trail up to the top of the Tourne also starts from here.
Not far away is a section of the Old Morris canal along the Rockaway River.
Facilities and Activities:
Ballfield, cross-country skiing, picnic sites, historic sites, hiking, nature trails, riding trails, sledding, nonflush toilets. Hours: Dawn to dusk. Entrance Fee None
reddish pudding stone here; the same that is at Pyramid Mountain.
The park entrance road was built in 1767 to bring iron ore from
the mines in Hibernia to the iron works in Boonton.
The Morris County Park Service says:
The name "Tourne" is derived from the Dutch word meaning lookout or mountain. The Tourne is the only remaining undeveloped fragment of the Great Boonton Tract, purchased by David Ogden, Colonial Attorney-General of New Jersey in 1759. McCaffrey Lane, which serves as the main entrance to the park, was created in 1767 by Samuel Ogden to haul iron ore from Hibernia's mines to his iron works in Old Boonton. Within this historic region, cannon balls were manufactured for use by the Continental Army during the American Revolution.
Clarence Addington DeCamp (1859-1948) inherited and acquired
during his lifetime much of the land now preserved as Tourne
County Park. The Park Commission guide to the Tourne describes
the history of this trail... Using hand tools and levers, Mr.
DeCamp built two roads to the top of the Tourne and encouraged
the citizenry to enjoy the forests and fields with him, thereby
becoming one of the first conservationists in Morris County.
In 1958 Morris County Park Commission acquired the intial 219 acres from Logan Steele of the Bugbee Corporation and Dr. Lewis Hull. The park was opened for public enjoyment in 1960.
The De Camp Trail takes you to the top of the Tourne. The trail
continues down the other side of the Tourne, and returns to the
parking lot, for a total of about 1.3 miles. Other trails can be
combined for walks of two to three miles.
Follow the entrance road to the last parking lot, where there is a posted trail map. Walk across the road and up the path that passes the rest rooms. Turn left for the DeCamp Trail to the top of the Tourne. There are views at the top in several directions, and it's a good place for a picnic. The NYC city skyline is visible on a clear day. The views also includes a still-rural west outlook toward the Rockaway Valley section of Boonton Township, a more suburban look south toward Parsippany and Morristown, and a view to the east overlooking Boonton. The trail continues down the other side of the Tourne, and returns to the parking lot, for a total of about 1.3 miles. Other trails can be combined for walks of two to three miles.
Source: Dan Goldfischer, Special to the Daily Record
Among the interesting features is the Mouse Cradle Balancing Rock, a glacial erratic which rests on the southwestern summit of the Tourne and is balanced on two points of ledge rock and a hidden wedge stone. This imposing 54 ton boulder was named by Mr. DeCamp in 1897, when he discovered a mouse nest in a cleft of the rock. He adjusted the boulder with jack screws so the rock could be tilted a few inches with a lever when a hidden wedge was removed.
Here is the Emilie K. Hammond Wildflower Trail. It is a mile of winding paths through varied terrain where you can learn about woodland flowers and ferns native to the eastern United States. Over 200 wildflowers and shrubs. Named after the botanist Emilie K. Hammond, who aided in its development with the cooperation of local garden clubs, the trail is easily reached by entering the Tourne at Powerville Road.
Eleanor Hinricksen Bird Sanctuary - Sanctuary for assortment of birds.
Dr. Patrick L. Cooney
Acer rubrum (red maple) 4/15/00
Alliaria petiolata (garlic mustard)
Berberis thunbergii (Japanese barberry)
Betula lenta (black birch)
Euonymus alatus (winged euonymus)
Fagus grandifolia (American beech)
Fragaria virginiana (wild strawberry)
Maianthemum canadense (Canada mayflower)
Pinus strobus (white pine)
Quercus alba (white oak)
Quercus rubra (red oak)
Robinia pseudoacacia (black locust)
Stellaria media (common chickweed) 4/15/00
Taraxacum officinale (dandelion) 4/15/00
Vaccinium sp. (blueberry)