Sailors Snug Harbor

Staten Island, NY


Richmond Terrace, Tysen St., Kissel Ave., Snug Harbor Rd.

83.3 acres


History:

In 1833 a home for the aged seaman was opened. It was known as Sailors' Snug Harbor. It was opened under the provisions of a will executed in 1801 by Alexander Hamilton for Captain Robert Richard Randall. The property is the former David Houseman Farm.

On the grounds is a bronze statue of Captain Randall by Augustus St. Gaudens. There are many flower gardens, large trees and other attractions. (Board of Education of City of New York 1964:69-70)