Scully Sanctuary (Scully Science Center)

South Bay Avenue, Islip, New York

69 acres

Located on a dead-end street that leads to the Great South Bay.


History:

1917 28 room stone Scully estate built.  It will be nominated for the National Register of Historic Sites.

The estate was donated to the National Audubon Society about 25 years ago.

2003 (December)  --  the Suffolk County Legislature voted to buy the Islip property with plans to maintain its wetlands and have an existing building used for a nature center..


Habitats:

two ponds, brackish marsh, forested freshwater wetland on the edge of a suburban town


Trails:

mile walk to the beach; can see Fire Island from the shore.


PLANT LIST:

European copper beech

poison ivy

wisteria

yellow iris

 

Source: "Mercedes Lee, National Audubon Society's Living Oceans Campaign" Grist Magazine; http://www.gristmagazine.com/week/lee060701.stm