River Road, Dutchess County, New York
The Hudson River has always been a major source of transportation between New York City and upstate New York. Sailing sloops were the major means of transporting freight until the middle of the 19th century, when they were replaced by the faster steamboats.
Post-Civil War – railroad became the dominant mode of transportation and railroad systems expanded rapidly, bringing an increased number of wealthy estate owners to the banks of the Hudson. The establishment of these estates changed the character of rural farm communities and provided employment for residents.
early 1900s – after the original station was destroyed by fire, construction of the former New York Central Railroad Station at the Riverfront Park began; it was designed by Warren & Wetmore, who also designed Grand Central Station in New York City.
1939 – the King and Queen of Great Britain left from this station after their historic visit to Hyde Park, with throngs of local residents bidding them farewell and singing Auld Lang Syne..
1960 – train service discontinued.
1968 – established when the Town of Hyde Park purchased the train station and surrounding areas.
The 0.8 mile long Riverside Trail connects the Vanderbilt Mansion and Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Sites. From Riverfront Park you may either walk north along County Route 41 to Dock Street (0.2 mile) and the Vanderbilt Loop, or south following River Road to a dirt road. The trail bears left into the woods about 200 yards along the dirt road. This section meets the Roosevelt section at Crum Elbow Point. From Riverfront Park to Crum Elbow Point is about 0.6 mile one way. (Parking is available at Riverfront Park by the former Railroad Station.)
Source: Winnakee Land Trust; http://www.winnakeeland.org/Hyde%20Park%20Trail.htm