Prosser Pines Preserve
Middle Island, Bellport, Suffolk County, Long Island, NY
Located just east of Cathedral Pines Park. Take the Long Island Expressway, exit 66 (County Route 21) north; drive around 3.5 miles to the park entrance on the left (east). Need a green key to Suffolk County parks to avoid getting a parking fee in season.
1759 -- Jonathan Edwards (a British officer in the French and Indian War) is awarded 300 acres of land in Middle Island north of the park. He is the one who brought white pine seedlings from Quebec to plant here.
1812 -- "Uncle Billy" Dayton planted more white pine seedlings on this site (then his farm).
early 1900s -- the Prosser family bought the site and kept it in the family thus preserving it.
1985 -- hit by Hurricane Gloria.
Betula lenta (black birch)
Pinus strobus (white pine)
Asclepias tuberosa (orange butterflyweed)
Chrysopsis mariana (Maryland golden aster)
Cypripedium acaule (pink lady's slippers)