Brief History of New Fairfield, Connecticut
The town of New Fairfield is situated in the northern part of Fairfield County. On the north is Sherman, on the east, Litchfield County and the town of Brookfield, on the south, Danbury; and on the west, Putnam County, New York.
1728 -- first settled by pioneers from the coastal town of Fairfield.
Shortly thereafter -- New Fairfield (31,000 acres) was purchased by twelve proprietors from Squantz, Chief of the Schaghticoke Indians, for 65 pounds of sterling.
Among the early residents were Medack Rogers, Jeroe Scudder, Thomas Burse, the Beasleys, the Penfields, the Treadwells and Amos R. Stevens. The Kelloggs were also early and prominent settlers.
1740 -- the 14-mile long area (which was referred to as the "upper seven" and "lower seven") was incorporated and divided into Sherman and New Fairfield.
1742 -- founding of the Congregational Church of New Fairfield.
1941 – Harry C. Pomeran and his wife Libby operated the Gateway Hotel, a resort hotel for Christian Scientists during the summer months. The property was originally a farm, the estate of J. L. B. Mott. Famous architect Stanford White designed the Mansion House and ballroom
The Pomeran children entertained the guests by singing, playing the piano and performing skits. The shows were so popular that Harry decided to redesign the barn into a stage. Oldest sister Sally took on the project.
1951-1960 -- Sally Pomeran ran the Gateway Playhouse. Among the actors were Robert Duvall and Gene Hackman.
1960-1970 -- father Harry and son David Pomeran ran the Gateway Playhouse.
Today -- the population is 13,000.
It is the home of Squantz Pond State Park, Gateway's Candlewood Playhouse, and Candlewood Lake.
History of Gateway: http://gatewayplayhouse.com/history.html
Back to the w. Connecticut Page
Back to the Main Page