Bridgeport, Fairfield County, Connecticut
The name "Money Beach" arose out of the legend that pirates had buried treasure there.
1649 -- Thomas Wheeler chose Black Rock for his homelot. (His great-grandson, Captain Ichabod Wheeler, was a leader in the shipbuilding industry there.)
1762 -- Captain John Squire built a house back toward the hill and a wharf at the beach.
1776 -- a fort built at the mouth of Ash Creek. (The actual site has been eroded from the cliff).
1779 -- the men at the fort halted a British landing party and saved Black Rock. (But the invasion of Fairfield on the opposite shore went on.)
1779 -- John Squire's stepson, Isaac Jarvis, commanded the Revolutionary fort.
1814 -- during the War of 1812, a fort was hastily constructed on the embankment when two British frigates threatened the harbor. Soon afterwards, the fort was dismantled.
Route J: Black Rock and Stratfield. http://www.cityqueue.com/towngovernment/RouteJ.HTML
Back to the w. Connecticut Page
Back to the Main Page