Macedonia Brook State Park
Cobble Mountain, Kent

Sources: Hardy #39, Keyarts #18


To see the furnace park at the first pull-off on the right. Walk toward the stream and observe the site of the Macedonia Furnace. Remnants include portions of the charging wall and some of the furnace stack. Near the stream is the water wheel pit and foundation of the blower house


History:

around 1770 --further down stream on Macedonia Brook, Peter Pratt started a bloomery forge and ironworks.

The Kent Manufacturing Company built the first furnace in Kent (located on the west side of Macedonia Brook near what is now the south entrance to Macedonia State Park).

Brothers Ambrose and John Wilson purchased the works which became known as Wilsonís Forge. Also here were a grist and saw mill.

1777 -- Wilsonís Forge begins operation in the Macedonia section of Kent..

1847 -- the Macedonia Furnace rebuilt and fitted with a warm blast.

Back to the w. Connecticut Page
Back to the Main Page