LA TOURETTE PARK

Staten Island, NY


Latourette Park & Golf Course is located in Staten Island's Greenbelt.

This beautiful green park feature's an 18 hole golf course built upon 125 acres of land, complemented by 455 acres of woodlands. After a challenging day of golf, sportsmen and visitors alike may relax in either the clubhouse or the restaurant.

When in season, ski and sleigh hills are available. Amenities also include showers and lockers.

Parking and public transportation are available. From the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, take bus S74 to Richmond Hill Road (near Richmondtown); 38 minutes. For more information, call (718) 351-1889.


In La Tourette Park

441 Clarke Avenue

Staten Island, NY 10306

Museum Administered by:

STATEN ISLAND HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Open to the public: July - August

Historic Richmond Town in La Tourette Park is a remarkable historic village and museum that encompasses four centuries of the history and culture of Staten Island. The town of Richmond, which began as a modest hamlet in the 1690s, became Staten Island’s county seat of government in 1728. The village weathered the turbulence of British occupation during the Revolutionary War and saw expansion in the 19th century. After Staten Island was incorporated into the City of New York in 1898, its government offices were moved to the town of St. George, and Richmond gradually slipped back into a quiet residential area.

New York City’s only historic village was first opened to the public by the Staten Island Historical Society in 1935, when it acquired the County Clerk’s office and established the Historical Museum. In 1939, it acquired and restored the Voorlezer’s House (c. 1695), the oldest surviving elementary school in the country.

Today, Historic Richmond Town’s 100 acres include 28 historic buildings dating from the late 17th to the early 20th centuries, half of which stand on their original locations. From a stately Greek Revival courthouse to a one-room general store, they exemplify a variety of architectural styles.

During July and August, visitors can see the daily trades and customs of early Staten Islanders demonstrated at many of the historic houses open to the public, such as carpentry, spinning and weaving, quilting, fireplace cooking, tinsmithing and printing on a rare Stansbury press. The Society’s historical museum contains exhibitions concerning Staten Island’s history and a new TOYS! exhibit. A variety of interpretive programs and special events are offered annually including a Civil War encampment, Autumn Celebration, month-long Christmas festivities and the Richmond County Fair.

Historic Richmond Town is a project of the Staten Island Historical Society, a non-profit cultural organization, and the City of New York, which owns the park land and buildings, and supports part of its operations with public funds provided through the Department of Cultural Affairs. With its farmhouses, trade shops and county courthouse, Historic Richmond Town makes an early American community come to life. In a city known for its skyscrapers, it preserves a human-scaled past for future generations.


Trail:

The Greenbelt Circular Trail comes in from the east via Richmond Road and St. Andrew's Parish Church.  It meets the yellow trail.  The trail goes parallel to Richmond Hill Road (running diagonally northwest to southeast).  

 The trail crosses Richmond Hill Road at Forest Hill Road and goes up this latter road past Travis Avenue.  Here it heads back into the woods and departs from the yellow trail to cross Heyerdahl Hill.  It goes then with the White Trail to the red trail.   The trail then turns left and crosses Rockland Avenue.  

The trail goes through sweetgum, crosses Manor Creek, and then heads up parallel to a deep ravine known as Bloodroot Valley after the bloodroot flower. Also here is maidenhair fern, sweet cicely, and other plants common farther south.  

From here the trail follows the fence of the Seaview Hospital to the trailhead on Brielle Avenue.  


PLANT LIST:
Mathilde P. Weingartner

9/28/1958


Trees:
Acer negundo (boxelder)
Carya alba (hickory)
Carya glabra (pignut hickory)
Celtis occidentalis (hackberry)
Diospyros virginiana (persimmon)
Juglans nigra (black walnut)
Liquidambar styraciflua (sweet gum)
Nyssa sylvatica (sour gum)
Quercus alba (white oak)
Rhus copallina (winged sumac)
Rhus glabra (smooth sumac)
Rhus typhina (staghorn sumac)

Shrubs:
Aronia arbutifolia (red chokeberry)
Aronia melanocarpa (black chokeberry)
Aronia x prunifolia (purple chokeberry)
Cornus amomum (swamp dogwood)
Cornus racemosa (gray dogwood)
Maclura pomifera (osage orange)
Myrica pensylvanica (bayberry)
Rubus sp. (blackberry)
Toxicodendron vernix (poison sumac)
Viburnum acerifolium (maple-leaf viburnum)
Viburnum dentatum (arrowwood viburnum)
Viburnum prunifolium (blackhaw viburnum)

Herbs:
Caltha palustris (marsh marigold)
Chelidonium majus (celandine)
Claytonia virginiana (spring beauty)
Erythronium americanum (trout lily)
Eupatorium album (white boneset)
Eupatorium perfoliatum (boneset)
Eupatorium purpureum (sweet-scented joe-pye-weed)
Gentiana clausa (closed gentian)
Lobelia cardinalis (cardinal lobelia)
Monotropa uniflora (Indian pipe)
Polygala sanguinea (purple milkwort)
Tortula muralis on stone walls

Grasses:
Tripsacum dactyloides (gama grass)

Ferns and Fern Allies:
Equisetum arvense (field horsetail)
Lycopodium appressum (southern club moss)
Athyrium filix-femina (northern lady fern)
Dennstaedtia punctilobula (hay-scented fern)
Dryopteris noveboracensis (New York fern)
Onoclea sensibilis (sensitive fern)
Osmunda cinnamomea (cinnamon fern)
Osmunda claytoniana (interrupted fern)
Osmunda regalis (royal fern)
Pteridium aquilinum (bracken fern)