CEDAR POINT COUNTY PARK
Alewive Brook Road, Cedar Point, Suffolk County
resident pass required for admission
east on the Montauk Highway (Route 27); pass the East Hampton Airport; turn north on the first road past the airport, Stephen Hands Path; drive 2 miles crossing Route 114; bearing off to the left onto Old Northwest Road; drive 1.8 miles to a fork; go right on Northwest Road 1.7 miles to the crossing with Alewive Brook Road; jog left; enter the park.
Driving from East Hampton follow Three Mile Harbor Road; turn left onto Springy Bank Road; this runs into the Alewive Brook Road. Follow above from this point.
Settled in 1651, Cedar Point was once a busy port for shipping farm goods, fish, and timber from Sag Harbor.
1838 -- The historic Cedar Point Lighthouse built; stood on an island 200 yards from shore when first constructed. Its beacon served to guide whaling ships in and out of Sag Harbor during its hey-day as a major port.
1938 -- The hurricane of 1938 transformed the shoreline, shifting sands to create a narrow, walkable strip that now connects the lighthouse with the mainland.
1974 -- vandals set a fire that guts the lighthouse.
Facilities and Activities:
The activities available at Cedar Point include: Fishing, hiking, picnicking, camping, playground, rowboat rentals, bicycling, saltwater fishing, scuba diving, swimming, hunting, outer beach access. General Store and Snack Bar.
This park, with commanding views of Gardiner's Bay, offers individual and organized group camping areas. Picnic areas, boat rentals, nature trails, vehicular access to the outer beach (with permit only), licensed hunting for waterfowl (in season), surfcasting for bass and bluefish. The Cedar Point General Store and Snack Bar, operated by Kaelins offers Saturday night family movies on the lawn behind the store and free use of recreational equipment.
There is a two-mile round trip hike out to the Cedar Point Lighthouse.