GLEN ISLAND PARK
New Rochelle, Westchester County, NY
105 acres on Long Island Sound
A Westchester County Park Pass is required for admission.
From the North. Take the Hutchinson River Parkway south to exit at Sandford Boulevard; turn right; at second traffic light turn right onto Pelhamdale Avenue; follow to the end and make a left onto Pelham Road. At first traffic light make a right to enter Glen Island Park.
Or take the New England Thruway (US 95) south to exit 15 (Route 1); make a left turn onto Route 1 (Post Road); at the second light make a right turn onto Weymar Avenue and follow it into the park.
1879 -- the Glen Island fun park was developed as a summer resort by John H. Starin (1825-1909), a businessman, US Representative (1877-1881), and philanthropist. On separate islands he exhibited the five cultures of the western world. The islands were linked together with piers and causeways. The park featured a zoo, natural history museum, bathing beach, and Chinese pagoda. There still are remains of the castles designed with a touch of the German Rhineland were used as a Beer Garden and restaurant. (Today the islands have been merged with substantial fill with a crescent shaped beach.)
1920s -- a drawbridge is built to connect the island to New Rochelle.
1923 -- Glen Island Park acquired by Westchester County.
Big Band era -- the two-story Glen Island Casino hosted the big band sound. (The former Casino is now a restaurant.)
1934 -- Tommy Dorsey and his brother started the Dorsey Brother Band. While performing at Glen Island Casino, the two brothers got into a public argument over tempo, the brothers separated and Tommy left the band for good.
1939 (March) -- the Glenn Miller band gets a big break when it is chosen to play the summ season at the prestigious Glen Island Casino.
There is a foot beach, 18-hole miniature golf course, playground and picnicking area.
After Rye Playland, Glen Island is the second most widely used park in the Westchester County Parks system.