CANTIAGUE COUNTY PARK
West John Street in Hicksville, Hicksville
LIE Exit 40, south on Cantiague Rock Road, east of West John Street.
"Cantiague" is Algonquin for "where trees are being blazed," with "blazed" meaning marked or cut.
1648 -- while standing in the Cantiague Woods, Robert Williams purchased land that now includes Hicksville.
Since 1745 -- the 4-foot square Cantiague Rock, originally at West John Street and Cantiague Road, marked the boundary between the towns of North Hempstead and Oyster Bay.
1964 -- the rock was moved to the entrance of the newly-constructed Cantiague Park.
(Cynthia Blair, Newsday Names of Long Island; http://www.newsday.com/features/custom/names)
Facilities and Activities:
Basketball, bicycle paths, bocci, driving range, golf, horseshoe courts, ice skating, lacrosse leagues, miniature golf, picnic areas, playground, shuffleboard, soccer, softball league, swimming pool, tennis, touch football