HISTORY OF BROOKFIELD, CONNECTICUT
pre-Colonial times -- Prior to the white men settling Connecticut, this area was inhabited by the Pootatuck Indians, members of the Algonquin Federation For many years, Chief Pokono ruled in the area.
1684 Danbury settled.
1707 New Milford settled.
1710 Newtown settled.
1732 Ironworks District settled.
1745 First bridge built at the Ironworks.
1748 First grist mill.
1748 Lands End Cemetery established.
1754 Newbury Parish (the future Brookfield) established.
1755 The Ecclesiastical Society of Newbury Parish accepts the site of the first Meetinghouse.
1756 Parish of Newbury (the future Brookfield) voted to hold school for six months per year.
1756 Voted to lay a tax on the inhabitants to cover the meetinghouse.
1757 The meetinghouse dedicated and Thomas Brooks ordained and installed as permanent minister of the Congregation Society.
1761 Four School Districts Ironworks, Whisconier, Pocono, Obtuse.
1776 Earliest burial in the Huckleberry Hill Cemetery.
1776 On July 4th, the Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence.
1777 Central Cemetery established.
1778 Earliest Burial in the Merwin Brook Cemetery.
1781 English General Cornwallis surrendered to the combined American and French forces, effectively ending the American War for Independence .
1781 First Physician Dr. Preserve Wood.
1783 A peace treaty was formally signed in Paris on September 3rd, granting Americans unconditional Independence.
1785 The Episcopalian Church established.
1788 The Parish of Newbury became The Town of Brookfield.
1788 (June 9) First Town Meeting held.
1789 Great Flu epidemic caused canceling of public meetings.
1790 The population of Brookfield numbered 1,018.
1792 Brookfield Town Singing School started.
1794 Old South Cemetery was established.
1794 -- Mary Northrop died and left her entire estate to the Town of Brookfield for public education.
1796 The Brookfield Town House completed.
1797 Masonic Lodge established in Brookfield.
1801 First Post Office established in Brookfield. Colbe Chamberlain was the first postmaster.
1808 8 Schools East Ironworks, West Ironworks, Whisconier, Center, Long Meadow Hill, Bound Swamp, South Mountain and Obtuse.
1830 Temperance Society started.
1830 Population of Brookfield 1,255.
1837 Ironworks Aqueduct Company established.
1837 Methodist Church established.
1837 Second Episcopal Church built.
1837 Daniel Tomlinson built a dam on the Still River and a factory for the making of curriers knives.
1839 South Mountain School changed to Whortleberry Hill School.
1840 the first railroad was constructed in Brookfield. It was called the Housatonic Railroad and was built in the Iron Works district (and called the Brookfield Station).
1845 Laurel Hill Cemetery established.
1846 Baptist Church established in the Ironworks District .
1850 Population of Brookfield 1,359.
1850 --Probate Court established - Brookfield Judge Ebenezer Blackman appointed Probate Judge.
1852 Sons of Temperance and the auxiliary the Cadets organized in Brookfield.
1854 Second Meeting House of the Congregational Church was dedicated .
1858 St. Pauls School for Boys established on Longmeadow Hill Road.
1866 Anti-Thieving Society established. Horses were being stolen.
1867 Catholic Parish established in Brookfield.
1868 Dutch Reformed Church established in Brookfield.
1868 St. Pauls School for Boys closes.
1868 Henry Hawley opened a hat factory.
1869 Second Post Office established.
1870 Brookfield Shakespearian Dramatic Society established.
1875 A new Brookfield Town House built and called Town Hall.
1880 Present Stone Bridge on route 25 built.
1881 Measles closed the schools.
1883 Curtis School for Boys moved to Brookfield.
1884 The Dutch Reform Church becomes The Chapel.
1888 Brookfield celebrates its 100th birthday.
1889 --Miss Wilhelmine Skidmore opened a school for girls in Brookfield Center.
1892 St. Josephs Catholic Church built on Pocono Road.
1893 Village Improvement Society established in Brookfield.
1895 Hawley Bible School opened on Whisconier Hill
1900 Greene School of Music opened.
1903 Local chapter of the Womens Christian Temperance Union formed.
1907 Ziegler Summer School of Singing established in Brookfield Center.
1913 --The Brookfield Improvement Society put streetlights through the Center.
1914 Railroad tracks moved & train station built in the Ironworks District.
1915 Electric lights come to Brookfield Center.
1918 Ancient Inn, located in the Ironworks district, moved to Danbury.
1918 Aunt Sues Brook, a watering trough on Route 133, was given to the town by the Womens Christian Temperance Union.
1920 Pocono Grange established.
1920 155 Women presented themselves at the Town Hall to be made voters.
1924 Greene School of Music closed after the death of Professor Herbert Greene.
1926 Brookfield Book Club meets.
1926 Construction of Candlewood Lake began.
1929 Lake Candlewood completely filled.
1929 New state highway built north to Obtuse (currently Route 133 to Bridgewater).
1934 Brookfield Fire Department formally organized.
1938 Consolidated School replaces the one-room schoolhouses.
1939 Town offices moved into the former Center School.
1940 The Grotto was started.
1943 Curtis School for Boys closed Joyce Memorial Library established in the old town hall.
1951 Brookfield Craft Center opened.
1953 Ground broken for new firehouse in the Center .
1953 Friends of the Library established.
1955 Lake Lillinohah filled overnight during hurricane Dianne.
1956 -- St. Josephs Parochial School opened.
1957 Samuel Wilson became our first Resident State Trooper.
1957 The first Brookfield Journal was published.
1958 - Williams Park built.
1859 Long Meadow Hill School built.
1859 Brookfield Players acquire gym from Curtis School for use as Playhouse.
1960 Zoning Laws put into effect
1960 Chamber of Commerce formed.
1960 Population 1,345 and start of largest growth period in Brookfield history.
1960 --Eugene McGowan was appointed first School Superintendent.
1960 United Jewish Brookfield Cemeterys first burial.
1961 Candlewood Shores Annexed from New Fairfield.
1963 Prince of Peace Lutheran Church held first services.
1966 Huckleberry Hill School built.
1967 Newbury Congregational Church established.
1967 First High School Graduation from Brookfield High School.
1968 Brookfield Historical Society founded.
1968 Gospel Hall takes over former St. Josephs Catholic Church on Pocono Road.
1970 Whisconier School built.
1975 The Brookfield Public Library opened in its present location.
1976 The Brookfield Museum & Historical Society began occupying the old Town House. Dr. Rudy Favretti, a noted writer, designer and restorer of 18th century gardens such as Winterthur, designed the beautiful period garden on the Museum property.
1981 Brooks Quarry built & named for Rev. Thomas Brooks.
1983 New Town Hall on Pocono Road opens.
2005 -- a gift by the Gurski family and the Town of Brookfield made it possible for the Brookfield Museum and Historical Society, to add Gurski's Forge to its inventory of artifacts. (Hopefully open in the summer of 2005.)
Brookfield Museum and Historical Society http://www.brookfieldcthistory.org/page_historical_timeline.html
Back to the w. Connecticut Page
Back to the Main Page