BELMONT LAKE STATE PARK
Southern State Parkway, North Babylon, Long Island
42 miles from Manhattan on Southern State Parkway. Also reached by Deer Park Avenue from Babylon and Belmont Avenue from Sunrise Highway (Route 27).
This was the former August Belmont Country estate of 1,100 acres where thoroughbred horses were bred. In 1885 August Belmont moved his racing stock to a new establishment in Kentucky.
Upon August Belmont Jr's. death in 1924, The lands passed to his widow, Eleanor Robson Belmont, a famous American actress and playwright. Early in 1925 she sold all but a small portion of the estate to Cadman H. Frederick who then subdivided most of the former estate into lots. The remaining 158 acres, including the lake, the mansion and the main farm buildings were sold to the State of New York. In 1927 the State purchased land that had been retained by Mrs. Belmont. Further acquisitions brought the total acreage to 459.
The family mansion was used for a time as Long Island State Park Commission administration headquarters. In 1935 it was razed to make way for the present office building which was erected on the site of the Belmont estate's Episcopal Chapel.
Boating, ball fields, bicycle and bridle paths, fishing, food service, hiking trails, cross country skiing, picnicking- by permit, playgrounds, horseshoe courts, and basketball courts.
p. 13 1936
Eric Lamont found Mazus pumilus (first Long Island collection of this species)